PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise: Pet Community for All Pets

Pet Community: Dog Community - Cat Community - All Pets - MySpace for Pets

Dogs Belong in Restaurants More Than Your Dirty Toddlers Do

Dogs Belong in Restaurants More Than Your Dirty Toddlers Do

dog in restaurantMuch to many pet owners' dismay, it is still illegal in most American restaurants to dine out with your dog. This is changing little by little. Dogs are allowed at outdoor restaurants in Florida and in North Carolina. In fact, dog lovers can check out websites like BringFido.com to find dog-friendly restaurants all over the country. Still, what's the big fuss over dogs in restaurants so long as they stay out of the kitchen? (A place we're all supposed to stay out of, by the way)

My dog-loving friends in Switzerland, where doggie dining is legal and common, think this American rule is barbaric and unfair. After all, parents get to bring in their toddlers any time they want. And who's cleaner, dogs or toddlers? Who wreaks more havoc? Who is more likely to listen when you yell "sit!"

Let's compare:

Dog Hygiene Part I: Dogs owned by civilized people are housebroken and will alert owners when they need to be removed from the premises to take care of their business. Health risk low, ick factor low.

Toddler Hygiene Part I: Most toddlers are incontinent and will just poo their diapers right there next to you while you're eating your pad Thai. Health risk low, ick factor high.

Dog Hygiene Part II: Okay, that idea that a dog's mouth is cleaner than a human's is just a myth. Still, a dog's tongue carries mostly species-specific bacteria that does not harm humans.

Toddler Hygiene Part II: Toddlers are walking petri dishes.

Dog Safety Part I: Dogs need to be remain docile and under the table to avoid tripping restaurant servers. They do sometimes startle easily. Safety risk medium.

Toddler Safety Part I: Toddlers can't sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time. Response to words like "no," "come back here," "stop that" is about 50 percent depending on child. Can be strapped down to chair, however. Safety risk medium depending on durability of high chairs.

Dog Safety Part II: Dogs are occasionally given to fighting with other dogs.

Toddler Safety Part II: Toddlers are frequently given to fighting with siblings.

I asked my son, a recovering toddler and now well-trained six-year-old diner, what he thought. Without hesitation he said "It's probably way safer to eat out with a dog than with a toddler."

There you go, from the mouths of babes.

Image via BringFido.com.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_party/108948/dogs_belong_in_restaur...
by Adriana Velez

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i love this!!! and you have my vote!
That was great Diane!!!  I must say I would prefer the dogs to some children I have encountered in restaurants! :)
U know u would make more money, if u allowed dogs in especially little dogs, who sit in the carrier..Parents if your kids are not well behaved, they stay home until they become well behaved.. nothing worse than paying 65'00 for a plate of food each and having screaming kids next to you.. just wrong!! i love it and i would vote for it!! In canada, u can have your dog on the outside of the patio gate, hello the dirt is the same in side or out!!

i totally agree but think of the worst behaving dog ever and sit them next to your family during dinner... could you imagin?? because you know theres just as many who dont train their pets as people who have kids that dont behave! could you imagine picking up your lobster and having a great big misbehaving horse of a dog come take it out of your hand, better yet lick your plate before your done or your face while your eating? he would prob mean no harm... ...  i duno im on the fence about it. but on the other hand it would be soooooo nice to be able to take my "puppies" with me more!!!
Wanda P said:
U know u would make more money, if u allowed dogs in especially little dogs, who sit in the carrier..Parents if your kids are not well behaved, they stay home until they become well behaved.. nothing worse than paying 65'00 for a plate of food each and having screaming kids next to you.. just wrong!! i love it and i would vote for it!! In canada, u can have your dog on the outside of the patio gate, hello the dirt is the same in side or out!!
My vote too! Dogs are cleaner than a lot of certain humans!
Small yappy dogs are no better than any others. I prefer the large elegant clean and gentle greyhounds no breed is more regal and aware of their sourroundings than greyhounds. They have another great asset they seem to bring the best out in people too. I think the stipulation should be all well behaved clean dogs or hounds should be allowed. noisy spoilt brats can be parked in the kennels out back. 

Marina Trofin said:
My vote too! Dogs are cleaner than a lot of certain humans!
i agree  this is so cool  thanx for sharing  its the same here in Liverpool there are very few places were dogs are allowed  but the dog friendly places are always more busy than the non dog friendly  wouldnt you think they would take note of the statistics

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Please visit our
Memorial Page

Top Members 

Events

Hamsterific!

Hamsterific for Hamster Lovers!

Forum

Home grooming tips for dogs

Started by Mandy S PBP Admin in Pet Related. Last reply by Vsjforyou Jun 9, 2016. 22 Replies

From unwanted nervous ex-racing greyhound to confident winning showdog!

Started by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen in General. Last reply by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen Feb 6, 2016. 9 Replies

Keep the Ban on Fox Hunting

Started by Jason W in General. Last reply by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen Feb 6, 2016. 1 Reply

How much money would you spend to save your pet from cancer?

Started by Pet Friend in General. Last reply by PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise May 25, 2015. 38 Replies

© 2024   Created by PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics