PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise: Pet Community for All Pets

Pet Community: Dog Community - Cat Community - All Pets - MySpace for Pets

A Big Thank-You for Helping Florida Greyhounds

May 02, 2011, 4:16PM MT
By Aimee Stoddard, Best Friends staff
Florida Senate approved SB 1594 to "decouple" dog racing from other forms of gambling.

All of the volunteers and organizations who participated in grassroots efforts and campaigns throughout the United States to eliminate the live dog racing requirement at Florida race tracks – and the lawmakers who approved the legislation – deserve a huge measure of gratitude.

On April 29, 2011, the Florida Senate voted 25-14 to approve Senate Bill 1594 that eliminates the requirement that tracks hold live dog races in order to be able to keep their licenses.

In a prepared statement, Christine A. Dorchak, president and general counsel of GREY2KUSA, and Carey M. Theil, executive director of the organization, remarked, “We are getting closer and closer to the day when greyhounds will no longer be running around in circles at tracks, breaking their legs and sometimes dying, just so someone can place a $2 bet on them. We are getting closer and closer to the day when these gentle friends will be let out of their cages for good.”

It goes without saying that the lives of many of Florida’s racing greyhounds will subsequently improve immeasurably. “We look forward to the opportunity to begin placing any and all greyhounds given their second chance with the passage of this bill,” says Christine. “Our Greyhounds First Coalition, consisting of rescue groups in 14 states, is standing ready to absorb those lucky dogs.”

Once SB 1594 is reconciled with its House counterpart, HB 1145, it will move to Governor Rick Scott’s desk for his signing. “This is the most important bill ever brought for greyhounds in the state of Florida,” comments Christine. "We will keep working until it reaches the governor’s desk.”

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

This is great news Kathi. Thanks for sharing no real news yet about the Borna Nog (Irish Greyhound Board) and their dirty sceem of selling greyhounds surplus to requirements for racing in China I have written quite a few mails to their Prime minister and their minister of Agriculture as well as the CCI ( coursing club Ireland) in an attempt to stop this from happening so far their plans will not go ahead as there is now a ban on exporting greyhounds to China. However since a lot of money is involved I doubt they will give up. We just have to keep fighting for the greyhounds no matter where they need us.

I hope the ban stays in place and there will be no exportation of greyhounds.  Keep up the good work Lisbeth, you are truly the best.  Hope you and the lads are well.

Hugs Kathi, Mickie and Sassie

We are doing well Kathi I hope the same for you and yours. We need to put some pressure on the Australians as they are exporting their surplus greyhounds to Macau they only live very short lives before being pts and they live in horrific conditions. It must be stopped If Macau canidrome becomes standard for new Chinese tracks the future of those poor greyhounds is very very bleak indeed. It will be as bad if not worse than the way Spanish galgoes are kept. I will get writing and send you some links if you want to take part in this protest. keep up the good work as well Lisbeth and the lads.

Please do send me the links and I will do everything I can to help.

Love Kathi

Will do Kathi. There is some bad news about the bill that was to become law in Florida because of a tecnicality it was not passed. So there is still a lot of work ahead of us I will fight by your side in this as well I will not rest till we have got much better results for the greyhounds. As soon as I have all the links I will post them here and we can take it from there. Much love to you and yours. Lisbeth and the lads. 

A bit of sad news the bodies of nine dead greyhounds has been discovered by a farmer dumped on his land down a remote hidden road they were dumped near and in a waterfilled ditch. poor souls never stood a chance.This news is from yesterday. People the fight for greyhounds continue on.

RSS

Please visit our
Memorial Page

Top Members 

Events

Hamsterific!

Hamsterific for Hamster Lovers!

Discussion Forum

Victory for Greyhounds

Started by Kathi. Last reply by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen May 15, 2013. 6 Replies

What do you love about greyhounds

Started by Mandy S PBP Admin. Last reply by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen May 13, 2013. 6 Replies

Greyhounds galore!

Started by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen Aug 29, 2010. 0 Replies

© 2024   Created by PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics