PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise: Pet Community for All Pets

Pet Community: Dog Community - Cat Community - All Pets - MySpace for Pets

I first heard about treadmill training from Cesar Millan. He taught me how from his show. And I had to teach Steel that its okay when the ground is moving instead of you. Of course Steel reacted badly- he bucked like a horse. After a week he took to it. He went a steady 2.1 speed, for 5 mintutes at a time.

It's been 8 plus months since I started his training. And he goes on once a week for 10 or so mins. at a speed of 3.5. M.P.H. More or less. I end a session with him lightly panting. So its like a warm-up.

Steel now goes on with no complaint. Just put him on a leash and on the treadmill, and start it. Then I supervise things. And I still take him on walks and hikes.

My question is: Is treadmill training okay? Would you do it with your dog?

P.S.  I tell my friends about Steel being treadmill trained. And they have to see it to believe it.  :)

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HEY STEELE CAN REALLY MOVE OUT.LOL IF IT IS SAFE AND HE WON'T GET HURT,BUT I REALLY DON'T KNOW
I think it is for the lazy dogowner I don´t like the methods presented by Cesar Milan. He may be good for some breeds but a failure for others. Its ok we can´t be good with every breed of dog or every group of breeds.Some of the methods he utilises are cruel and too harsh for some more sensetive breeds. I have always thought that working with your dog as a partner and as a team would get the best results. It is also vital that the breed and the purpose it is bred for are taken into account. If you have a dog that uses his nose more than his eyes that is the sense you should focus on and if you have a dog that relies more on his sight then that is what you should stimulate. It is also vital to see the dog or hounds as individuals and to notice the diffrent groups of breeds and how they interact. I am saying this from experience with sighthounds their bodylanguage is very diffrent than that of of other dogs.It is vital that those things are taken into account or the work you do with your dog will not be of any use. I have seen quite a few sad exampels of people trying to utilise Cesars methods with disasterous results. Working with dogs takes a lot of patience and knowledge there are no simpel solutions or quick fixes it is hard work all the way through but it is such a good feeling when the methods you utilise work for you and your dog. So if you feel these methods are the ones for your dog and you then go for it and best wishes for a good result. I use the methods that Jan Fennel has used with her pack and it has worked a charm for my sighthounds and me. Another thing to remember is to find the key to your dog or dogs are they motivated by praise ,toys or food. Then there is their level of energy and needs for exercise,obidience, free runs,nosework ect ect. Always know what you dog has been bred to do. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Please visit our
Memorial Page

Top Members 

Events

Hamsterific!

Hamsterific for Hamster Lovers!

Forum

Home grooming tips for dogs

Started by Mandy S PBP Admin in Pet Related. Last reply by Vsjforyou Jun 9, 2016. 22 Replies

From unwanted nervous ex-racing greyhound to confident winning showdog!

Started by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen in General. Last reply by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen Feb 6, 2016. 9 Replies

Keep the Ban on Fox Hunting

Started by Jason W in General. Last reply by Lisbeth Mønsted Larsen Feb 6, 2016. 1 Reply

How much money would you spend to save your pet from cancer?

Started by Pet Friend in General. Last reply by PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise May 25, 2015. 38 Replies

© 2024   Created by PetBrags Pet Lovers Paradise.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Real Time Web Analytics